[mythtv-users] Graphics Card Acceleration and Mythtv

Philip Shead drinnen at optusnet.com.au
Sat Sep 3 03:48:11 UTC 2005

   I'm just wondering if anybody can help clear up my mind
on the level of support on decoding from graphics cards.
I have a myth box with a Duron 1200 and a single DVB card
watching live tv runs around 55% CPU, I'd toyed with
the idea of a graphics card to allow HD playback
but having a small tv didn't really research it. However
I'm almost ready to drop a second DVB-T card in and
playing with it on my athlon 2600 I'd noticed high
CPU whilst watching PiP with the analogue input I'm
now concerned that PiP with the 2 DVB cards will be
unusable on this machine. So can some kind soul help
me with:

a) Quick Summary of what (nvidia) cards support what level of
    assistance and which features are currently supported
    under linux
b) Will any set of features enable reasonable playback
    of HDTV on my machine?
c) More importantly will these feature accelerate either
    or both pictures when playing back PIP from the two
    DVB-T cards?

   Bonus Points for any big yay or nay on particular
low end models to avoid or look closely at. (I'm
particularly looking at the dirt cheap ($AU60 odd)
fx5200's of which there are a fair few brands floating
around).

   Thanks.