[mythtv-users] Crackling and popping in non-PVR analog card -- I think I can say it's MythTV's fault

Sérgio Gomes sergiomdgomes at netcabo.pt
Sat Sep 3 02:41:33 UTC 2005

Nick wrote:

>On 02/09/05, Sérgio Gomes <sergiomdgomes at netcabo.pt> wrote:
>

>>Hello everyone!
>>
>>I'm probably one of the very few people left with a non-PVR analog card
>>(a simple Hauppauge WinTV Go, based on cx8800). The audio goes from the
>>TV card to the sound card via a simple external stereo cable, as I'm
>>sure is the case in many setups out there.
>>
>>Now, I have been having a problem with audio on my MythTV since I
>>installed it yesterday: I get a lot of crackling and popping in my
>>recordings and in LiveTV. I've been running several tests.
>>

>1) What recording frequency did you choose in mythtvsetup?
>2) Have you used another TV program to see if it also has problems
>displaying video and playing audio at the same time?
>3) Have you checked alsamixer and reduced the capture volume to see if
>this reduces the problems?
>
>Nick

OK, here goes:

1) No matter which one I choose, the problem is always there

2) I have tried and tried to get Freevo running, but couldn't, it always
gives me lots of error messages and I can't find any good Howto. And I
don't know any other "LiveTV" program for Linux, so I can't answer you.
All the simple TV programs (XawTV, KDETV, TVTime) I tried work, of
course, since they only care about video and do nothing to audio --
audio is inserted into the soundcard without any software intervention.
Recording sound while using one of these programs works fine though. As
does recording audio while running MythTV (you have to start recording
the audio before starting mythfrontend, and this way mythfrontend
doesn't get any sound, which is normal)

3) Changing volume doesn't solve the problem. The amount of crackling
seems to be proportional to the input level -- input it low and you get
low crackling, but when you crank up the volume at playback to hear at
the same level, the crackling gets to the same level. So basically, no
matter how high your low you record, when it's played back at the same
volume, the amount of crackling is the same. (I hope I wasn't too confusing)

Thanks,
Sérgio