[mythtv-users] Multiple video display

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 02:14:13 UTC 2005

On 03/09/05, James Howison <james at freelancepropaganda.com> wrote:
> Star TV in singapore has a mode where it shows all the channels at
> once on the screen and you highlight the one you want and get the
> audio for that.
>
> Any idea how it is doing that?  I mean surely there's only one tuner
> in the cable box?  I'm assuming that even if the MythTV software
> allowed multiple screens on the one screen you'd only be able to get
> as many as you have tuners for.
>
> Probably they 'multiplex' the channels at the cable company and
> broadcast the multichannel out on a single channel.  Then allow the
> tuner to get the live audio depending on which part of the channel
> you are on.  Just speculating.

I'd agree completely with that. I'm not clued up on cable TV
transmission, but you'd need at least one tuner per multiplex,
assuming the box could decode the multiple streams at the same time
within each multiplex (hopefully what DVB support on Linux will allow
soon).

Having everything controlled at the head-end and having a single
channel showing all channels overlaid on an interactive page would
seem the easiest and cheapest solution by far.

Nick