[mythtv-users] Hollywood Realmagic Plus

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Fri Sep 2 04:52:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 05:22 +0100, Nick wrote:
> On 9/2/05, Big Wave Dave <bigwavedave at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I happen to have one of those laying around, and wish I could use it.  I
> > have a feeling they are too old for people to care about.  I used it to
> > watch DVD's on my P2-350 back in the day.
> >
> >  I wonder how hard it would be to integrate?  Has anyone ever looked into
> > it?  They are great cards.  I am actually using the remote that came with
> > it, to control MythTV.
>
> I also have one lying around from the 90s (P166 days) and would like
> to use it somehow, even just so it's not gathering dust. I'm quite
> sure xine has an ouput plugin to allow DVD/MPEG2 to be decoded through
> it, so maybe MythTV could be hacked to use it somehow - perhaps all
> native MPEG2 recordings could be automatically exported to MythVideo
> for accelerated playback through it?
>
> Nick

The best I can suggest is to look at mplayer.  I believe it can be
compiled to support one of these.  The last time I looked at the driver
for the hollywood + it required a slightly older kernel, although I
think that may have changed.

While they are not perfect, you can pick up refurbished ati 7000 cards
with an s-video output for like $25. (newegg occasionally)  I haven't
tested them with myth and tv out yet, but they should work, and that is
a real video card so it is apt to be much less buggy than attempting to
get an old dvd decoder card to do the job.

-Robert