[mythtv-users] no Tuner0 option in front end

Felix mythtv at ymhee-bcex.net
Fri Sep 2 03:37:10 UTC 2005

Nick wrote:

>On 9/2/05, Felix <mythtv at ymhee-bcex.net> wrote:
>
><snip>
>

>>I *did* set up Capture card with input from Tuner0. And I *did* set up
>>Video sources to my cable company. And I *did* set up input connection
>>(indeed option 4) to link this video source with the capture card. And I
>>*looked* in Channel Editor after I ran myfilldatabase - everything looks
>>OK. So, it all makes sense but doesn't move me too far :-( . I still
>>don't understand the comment earlier about setting up channel
>>numbers/frequencies. If anybody can elaborate, I would greatly appreciate!
>>
>>That said, I noticed something that may be relevant to this problem.
>>When I set up Input connection for my combination (Tuner 0 ->
>>CableCompany) I set up the starting channel. As long as I don't start
>>front end (that is, exit and start mythtvsetup) - the value stays. But
>>as soon as I start (and then exit) frontend and then start setup - the
>>value in the Starting channel field is gone.
>>
>>Maybe it's related - maybe it's not. But either way I am very confused
>>by references to channel numbers.
>>

>Sorry to confuse you earlier. When using a conventional tuner, MythTV
>needs to know 4 (minimum) defined numbers to work correctly when
>tuning to a channel:
>
>chanid - a unique number given to any particular channel;
>channum - a number you use to label the channel (typically cable/tuner
>channel number);
>freqid - the channel that the tuner actually tunes to; and
>sourceid - a unique number for the recording source the channel is on
>
>You need to make sure that for your tuner input, you have channels
>correctly defined in your database (you can check this in mythtvsetup
>in channels settings, or in the actual database). If you're happy
>looking further at the database, I recommend using phpMyAdmin to check
>the mythconverg database for obvious issues (check the capturecard,
>cardinput and channel tables). If you do find any and make changes,
>remember the backend must be restarted.
>
>Channel numbers therefore, can be defined by you when setting up the
>system, to a recognisable number. Channel frequencies however need to
>match the station to actually tune in on, and therefore needs to be
>correctly input.
>
>I hope this helps to clear up your confusion,
>
>Nick

oookey; confusion is (almost) gone - thanks! after I ran filldatabase,
the channels got populated. The numbers on the screen match the values
in channel table (yes, I am quite familiar with phpMyAdmin). The channum
and freqid fields are the same; but that is expected. Other tables
(capturecard, cardinput, videosource) look reasonable as well.

now, I hate to repeat myself, but I don't understand how that relates to
the problem that I am experiencing! frontend doesn't list Tuner0 as one
of the inputs; I don't get so far to be able to switch channels!

I realize that you guys are trying to help solve *my* problem, and I
appreciate it; and I feel that you know the answer - if only I could
explain the problem properly and we could address the issue at hand. So,
if I sound a little frustrated - I apologize in advance :-)  !

Thanks in davance
Felix