[mythtv-users] HD3000 and High-Def

Zak onlydarksets at mahshie.net
Thu Sep 1 14:11:37 UTC 2005

A JM wrote:

> Sorry about the "Evil" post I'll try to correct myself in future
> postings :)
>
> I think I'm following now.
>
> QAM is how the "signal" is delivered over cable and the HD content is
> either scrambled or unscrambled. OTA is a more a reference for HD
> content over the airwaves.

Yes.  OTA means "Over The Air".

> If the content is unscrambled you will be able to watch HD content
> over cable using an HD2000 or HD3000. If the content is scrambled
> you'll need a cable box to watch the HD content but that content is
> then distributed via firewire to you Myth box.

Close, but not quite.  The HD2000 does not support QAM
(http://www.pchdtv.com/faq.html - BEWARE: the FAQ is NOT up-to-date; the
HD3000 *does* support QAM).

> There is a difference between a PVR250 or PVR350 in that they only do
> SD the HD2000 or HD3000 does HD.

Yes.

> Am I understanding correctly?
>

> p.s. I've never heard of a "Cablecard" who makes that?

I thought twice about mentioning this, but I figured somebody would jump
in and call me on it.  Don't worry about it for now - it's basically an
alternative to a cable box, but you must have an TV that supports it.