[mythtv-users] no Tuner0 option in front end

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 1 05:49:44 UTC 2005

Felix wrote:

> Nick wrote:
>
>> On 9/1/05, Felix <mythtv at ymhee-bcex.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I've switched TV provider, and the new one doesn't have the converter.
>>> So, the signal comes straight from coax wire. I set up video source,
>>> and
>>> linked Tuner0 input connection to this source, however, when I start
>>> front end, I can only alternate (by pressing "C") between SVideo0 and
>>> Composite0. Obviously, both of these aren't showing much.
>>>
>>> Has anybody seen this? How can I tell MythTV to get input from Tuner?
>>
>> Have you set up the channel names and numbers/frequencies for Tuner0?
>> Without these, MythTV is unable to tune to the channels on Tuner0.
>> Also, make sure your tuner is working with the correct driver and that
>> the device exists on the system.
>
> I am pretty sure about the second part - I can watch TV in gmplayer (I
> meant to mention that but forgot, sorry ;-).
>
> As far the first part - set up channel numbers/frequencies, I think
> you misunderstood my problem..

I don't think he did.  ;)

> or rather I wasn't clear in explaining it.

I think you were.

> It's not that I can't switch channels on Tuner0; the problem is that I
> can't get MythTV to receive input from Tuner0 input. Changing inputs
> on the card (by pressing "C" only goes from Composite 0 to SVideo 0
> and back). I also noticed one other peculiar thing. If I set up
> ptune-ui.pl to Tuner0 and then start MythTV, I get the input! However,
> the line says Composite 0. Apparently, MythTV doesn't do anything with
> the input source; but for wahtever reason, it doesn't know about
> Tuner0 being a possible source. Pressing C at that moment goes back to
> SVideo and (real) Composite - obviously, with no signal now!
>
> And speaking of channel switching - I can't switch channels in MythTV,
> either (but it isn't surprising, since apparently MythTV "thinks" that
> it is Composite, and sends "switch channel" signal to the wrong
> input). And I can switch channels on ptune-ui.

This--like Nick was trying to say--is the exact behavior you would get
if you had set up your capture card but had not yet set up channels for
the video source.  So, how about answering Nick's question?  "Have you
set up the channel names and numbers/frequencies for Tuner0?"

Mike