[mythtv-users] Help Diskless frontend

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Mon Oct 31 11:29:08 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 09:14 -0500, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> Out of curiosity, why does your setup "suck[s] for mythfrontend"?  I was
> planning on setting up a similar system (to get rid of the HD in my

My diskless system works..  Its gentoo based.  I don't have it auto
haven't spent the time on it.  (That and tapping my right control key on
my keyboard switches to that computer anyway...)  I did plug in an ati
RF remote and compiled that module, but that was a stop gap until I got
around to doing the full lirc setup which I'll eventually clone to other
systems..

One irritation on my setup is the board doesn't survive a reboot without
turning off the power for ~10 seconds first.

Basically, if your going diskless expect more work to set it up, and you
likely want 512MB of ram.  For the 'Ideal' diskless setup, if you can
find a motherboard with a gigabit ethernet jack that will boot diskless
it might improve performance a bit.  Basically it might save a few
seconds here and there...  (Mine is just 100BT).

Of course if you just want a quiet system you could possibly use a
little laptop drive and pretty much do the same thing..

-Robert