Settling the HD debate WAS: Re: [mythtv-users] A warning about Samsung HDDs

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 09:27:06 EST 2005

On Sunday 30 October 2005 22:26, Brady wrote:
> Let me chime in on this..
>
> I worked for a large fortune 500 company a few years back. We did
> product qualification on virtually every computer component known to
> man. Mainboards, Hard Drives, PDAs, etc. The Hard Drive testing was
> slick. We would hammer a hard drive until it died in order to make
> sure that our products wouldn't be the failure points. During this
> time I saw every major brand fail in ways that you can only dream of.
> Spindle locks, head contact, 5V feedback that caused small fires, etc.
>
> Anyways, on with my point. Without disclosing anything that is
> protected by NDA I must say that I found out three major things during
> this time. Do not buy Deskstar series hard drives. Western Digital,
> while only average on there drive quality, ranks pretty high for there
> support department, and Seagate drives are unpredictable. Not in the
> way you would think though. I could tell you exact ways to fail any
> drive except a Seagate. Run the voltage a little high and then run the
> clock a little slow and some drives would fail in 30 hours of constant
> testing. Seagates on the other hand defied most failure reproduction.
> While they didn't usually last longer than other drives they typically
> failed in boring ways. Things like cache failure or just plain old
> power down failure. Most times we could recover the drives.
>
> Why do I even mention this you ask? Well, I felt that Seagate drives
> where just well built enough to withstand the tests we put them
> through and tended to only fail due to normal "wear and tear." There
> was no easy way to kill a Seagate. They seemed a little more bullet
> proof than other drives.
>
> Anyways.. Its late (I think, I just moved across a time zone boundary
> and then day light savings happened.. I have no clue what time it is
> anymore) and I am starting my new job tomorrow so I should stop
> ranting.
>
> On 10/30/05, Todd <nospam at tippyturtle.com> wrote:
> > I am sure this is going to sound like I am some type of employee...but oh
> > well, I am not...
> >
> > I have always used Seagate drives and had extremely good luck.  I started
> > using them because they were the first IDE drives to run 7200rpm at
> > 2-3bels...dead silent in comparison to the other drives 5 years ago.  I
> > believe they last longer than most because:
> > 1.  I still haven't had a Seagate die on me (I am sure there is a bunch
> > luck in there)...and I have, over the years had serious issues with WD,
> > IBM. Maxtor, Fujitsu and others.
> > 2.  Seagate has consistently had LONGER warrantee periods.  I think they
> > others are now matching Seagate, but even when it was in vogue to leave
> > your customers high and dry with 1 year _from_time_of_build_ warrantees,
> > Seagate had 3 year from purchase.  I assume they are trusting their
> > drives to live that long because the design them to.
> >
> > ...ok, now start the long threads of "I was screwed by Seagate."  :-)

> [...]

I'm gunna stop everyone short here.

First of all when you tested the Deskstars they were under control of the IBM
harddrive division which for a a good stretch of time made excellent, if not
the best quality harddrives then had a couple years of problems with their
deskstars. Subsequently the user backlash forced them to sell to Hitachi.

Second. I've had seagate drives die on me. Moral of the story, every drive has
the chance of dieing. I've never found a company to be found to make all
inferior drives. Drive series have had issues (see deskstar and one of the
Maxtor lines a while back that everyone seems to use to rip on Maxtor), but
not drives by entire companies.

Third. Seagate had a period where they lowered their warranty to 1yr when
everyone else was. Shortly after Hitachi raised their warranty to 3 years, so
WD and Maxtor did as well. Seagate, who had been having some trouble with a
couple of their models revamped and changed to a 5yr warranty, after which
Hitachi changed as well. WD and Maxtor stayed at 3 for their consumer drives
and iirc now have 5yr on their scsi and server series.

Fourth. Drives have varying electronics. So testing a drive one year could
mean nothing in regards to that drives model the following year if they
changed the electronics without changing the model name. I've got two WD
drives of the same model number but if you look at their case and circuit
board they look different because I bought them ~1yr apart. I've also seen
the same with Maxtor drives.

Fifth. Two things will affect the life and performance of a drive without a
manufacturing flaw (ie those old deskstars were gunna die on you, which is
why IBM had such a consumer backlash about them). Power and heat. Keep your
drives cool. They can get pretty warm and still be in their rated range, but
the closer you can keep them to ~65-70degF (18-24C)the better.

Power is also essential. Drives require two voltages, +5 and +12. The +5 is
for their electronics and the +12 is for their spindle motor. This is where a
good, proper operating, power supply comes in. A few folks here have already
mentioned (along with my personal experience) that they had a PSU kill a
harddrive.

A fluctuating 5V on the low side will cause the electronics to turn on and off
rapidly, damaging the circuit chips. A fluctuating 5V on the high side can
damage components due to electrical "burn". Drives don't have voltage
regulators in their electronics since they rely on the PSU to not fluctuate.
A fluctuating low 12V will cause the spindle to start and stop randomly and
can cause a head crash. Hard drive heads use the Bernouli (sp?) effect to
keep the head off the platter. As the platter spins the wind it creates
forces the head off the platter. Modern drives are near impossible to get a
head to smash into a platter under normal operating conditions. If you look
on the case you will see a G-Force rating, which is the max ammount of force
the drive's head can withstand, and from what I remember this rating is based
on impulse (which is always higher than constant). A fluctuating high 12V, as
can be imagined, can burn spindle motor winding.

So make sure you buy a quality PSU and monitor the voltage levels. Every
modern motherboard will give you a pretty good indication of the PSU voltage
levels. These monitors aren't great though. Some boards the error is known
(do a google search) some are not. But the closer to 5V and 12V the more
accurate, but a change of .2V can make the error quite large on some boards.

If you think anything might be amiss, check the voltages with a multimeter
while the computer is running and make sure the fluctuation you see is within
the specifications of your PSU. If any of them fluctuate beyond that, then
make sure your not outputting more than the rated current per V level. If you
need more power, buy a new PSU with a higher Watt output, if your within the
Watt rating and within the current per V level then check if your still under
warranty or buy a new PSU.
As to how to check the PSU with a multimeter, find an open drive power
connector (or use a splitter to make one) and while the computer is running
(preferably under full load with a good amount of drive access) check the 5V
and 12V voltage. Since its voltage it will be the same value at every 5V and
12V connector connected to the PSU (except for dual PSU setups obviously...).

PSU's, while remaining under their Current per V level *should* output a
voltage within their rated margin of error for the extent of their warranty
period, usually longer. Cheaper PSU's will not live as long as a quality PSU
though. I find the good PSU's will live well beyond their warranty period.
Once you ask the PSU to supply more current than it is rated for you put it
into an area where you are causing it to create more heat than it is designed
to produce and will quickly cause the PSU to no longer be provide even its
rated values.

Sixth. SMART. Older versions of SMART were not bulletproof, and I can't vouch
for the newer versions, but I've found the newer SMART chips to not only
provide more monitoring parameters but to also have a more stringent
parameter range that help give a quicker indication of a problem.

I have my smartctl logging every SMART value change. Even if a value hasn't
passed its threshold, the speed at which it approaches can be an indicator of
a problem. The parameter *delta* can be as much an indicator as a paramter
failure. I currently have a drive that has a rapidly increasing parameter
count for bad CRC's. So I know something is up. I need to call and see if
this makes it eligable for warranty, but at least I know there is an issue to
be aware of!

To summarize
1. No two harddrives are made the same, even if they are from the same
company. Don't let a harddrive failure taint your view of that company as in
the real world it means nothing.
2. Warranty period is only an indicator of the companies willingness to
replace their drives. Is 5yrs better than 3yr? only if you plan on operating
that drive into its 4th year. It will have no bearing on the drive operating
into its 2nd year.
3. Heat. Keep the drive cool.
4. Power. Monitor your power and make sure you have a properly sized PSU.
Spend good money on your PSU as well, a cheap PSU will come back to haunt
you.
5. SMART. Its not just waiting for it to give you an error, its monitoring the
change in parameters. A failed SMART parameter means the problem has come to
an Emergency status.
6. No two harddrives are made the same, even from the same company!

Steve