[mythtv-users] Re: DVB-S Users: Anyone have C-band?

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 00:08:35 EST 2005

Mike, thanks for the response... replies below:

On 10/30/05, Mike Frisch <mfrisch at isurfer.ca> wrote:

> Keep in mind that most 4DTV channels are subscription only and even
> then, much of the good programming is not accessible to consumers
> (they are used for feeding cable systems).
>
> I had a 4DTV and had my Twinhan DVB-S connected to my C/Ku-band dish.
>
> I sold my 4DTV (due to lack of interest) last year and took down my C-
> Band dish earlier this year. It's dying. Far more exciting stuff
> out there with a 1m dish and a DiSEqC motorized mount.

This sort of lines up with what Robert was saying. Sounds like C-band isn't
the way to go now. So how many channels do you get with a 1m dish? I hate to
amdit it openly but I'm all about "free channels". With a motorized 1m dish
how much can I get for free?

With a large dish, there are 1 coax each for C and Ku-band, two DC
> power wires, and 3 additional wires for the polarotor motor.
>
> The smaller dishes (typically 1.2m or less) that use DiSEqC motorized
> mounts send the dish positioning signals and power for the motor down
> the same coax as the signal. Given the size/weight of typical C-Band
> dish, there isn't enough power carried on coax to move one of these.

That's really cool, is there linux software than can move the dish with
DiSEqC over a coax cable? Are you using one of these setups with a myth
machine? If so I would very much like to hear about it (dish type, card
type, config info, etc).

Thanks again,
-Greg