[mythtv-users] XvMC and Libmpeg2, bug?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 30 22:42:59 EST 2005

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
>

>>     Already fixed (by totally reworking the controls), but thanks for
>>     reporting it on the list before making a ticket.  That's one more
>>     feature we'll all enjoy because of the developer time you've
>> saved by
>>     not making a ticket for them to deal with.  :)
>>
>>     http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/473
>>
>>     Mike
>>

>> Is that sarcastic?  Sorry didn't realize i was supposed to make
>> tickets and stuff.  Thought it wasn't supposed to work that way, but
>> i thought it might, so i didn't want to make a ticket for something
>> stupid like that.  But if i'm supposed to i will.
>
> No, that wasn't sarcastic.  Too many people go ahead and create a
> ticket for any little problem, without reporting it on the -users
> mailing list first to find out if it's a real bug.  Kudos to you for
> taking the time to do a little homework before making a developer have
> to waste time closing out an invalid ticket.

Right.  I was truly thanking you.  Sorry for the confusion, but I really
wanted to thank you for posting it here first.  Too many already-fixed
bugs or non-bugs get reported on Trac and a lot of developer time is
wasted on them.

Often, the developer closes the ticket as invalid with a short message
describing why it's invalid and then the user--unable to understand why
it's invalid based on the short message--reopens the ticket, forcing the
developer to re-close the ticket with a much longer, more descriptive
message explaining exactly why it's invalid (i.e. already fixed,
misunderstanding of the feature, user-configuration error, etc.)--and
sometimes this happens two or three times before the user understands
why the ticket is invalid.  A /lot/ of developer time gets spent on
tickets like these (individually, they may not take /that/ much time,
but together...) which turns out to be that much less time the developer
can spend writing code for Myth.

So, once again--this time, explicitly non-sarcastically--thank you.

Mike