[mythtv-users] basic mythvideo question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 30 18:05:30 EST 2005

Paul McKellar wrote:

>So i have everything working.  But i'm confused as to the intent of
>mythvideo.  Is it meant to stream files to multiple FEs or just play
>whatever you have locally.
>
>http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-18.html
>
>is the "official documentation" and doesn't really have any good
>statement of intent.
>
>I wanted to have my file server on my backend.  are people using NFS
>or Samba mounted to allow you to read other files?  I like hte idea of
>the smallest frontend possible.

MythVideo is a frontend plugin.  It does not stream video.  Each
frontend must have access to the video files through some
filesystem--local or network (NFS/Samba/Whatever)--to play the video.

For the configuration you want, do as others in the thread suggested and
export your videos directory and mount it on each frontend.

Mike