[mythtv-users] different versions on frontend and backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 30 17:46:07 EST 2005

Robert Johnston wrote:

>On 30/10/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>

>>Andrew McNabb wrote:
>>Myth is not designed to allow the use of different versions of the
>>mythfrontend and mythbackend
>>
>Correct.
>
>>(note that both come from a single project
>>directory called "mythtv" and don't allow building the frontend without
>>the backend or vice versa).
>>
>Incorrect. You can pass --disable-frontend and/or --disable-backend if
>you want to make a FE-Only or BE-Only machine.

Yeah, if you don't want it to build.  Those are porting only
options--they are /not/ valid options on Linux.  See
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythtv/configure?rev=7650 lines
2740 and 2747--and especially lines 2741 and 2748.

See also:
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/156
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/290
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/491

>>As a matter of fact, the same applies to
>>mythplugins--you need the same version of mythplugins as the version of
>>mythtv.
>>

>That's also incorrect. MythPlugins have to be built against the same
>version of libMyth, but you can take an old version of the plugins
>source, as long as it's built against the same version of libMyth as
>the MythFrontend you are wanting to load them from.

Unless there are changes that break compatibility.  This includes
incompatible changes to the myth protocol version, the DB schema
version, the libraries used by the plugins (i.e.
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/531 ), and ...

And, in /all/ cases, doing so is *not* a "supported"
configuration--which was the point I was trying to make.  Unless, of
course, you're volunteering to provide support for all possible version
combinations users may wish to try.

Mike