[mythtv-users] Mythweb problems - missing thumbnail causes backend to crash

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Oct 30 13:28:41 EST 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 04:07:26PM +0000, Alexander Fisher wrote:
> After I ran mysqlcheck, all new recordings were fine again.

The Debian version of MySQL does a mysqlcheck as part of the boot
sequence, so when recovering from a power failure (or crash) that's
one less thing to worry about.  I'm surprised your distro doesn't do
that as well, but it's easy enough to add.  If you don't want to get
your hands dirty in the boot scripts you can add an "@reboot" cron
job.

>   Also, am I
> right in thinking mysql has a mode of operation that is more resilient
> to power failure?

Starting with version 4.1, MySQL supports transactions and external
key constraints as long as you specify the InnoDB engine when you
create the tables.  This means that SQL commands within a transaction
group would either all succeed or all be rolled back, and it would be
impossible to add a row to one table without updating the related
links in other tables.  I don't think MythTV uses this feature.  You
can force MySQL to use InnoDB tables by editing your my.cnf file, but
MythTV would need to add code to turn off auto-commit and mark the
end of each transaction.