[mythtv-users] spdif working but not passthrough - AV-710

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 12:01:40 EST 2005

On 10/30/05, Byron Poland <wpoland at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/30/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> > Byron Poland wrote:
> >
> > >I have a chaintech AV-710,  I am just setting it up, and used the
> > >asound.conf from knoppmyth's dragon setup since it uses this card.
> > >
> > >I got spdif output working but want to enable passthrough because all
> > >my recordings are HD and have AC3 or 5.1 Surround sound.
> > >
> > >Despite getting the spdif working (with device set to ALSA:spdif),
> > >when I check the "Enable AC3 to SP/DIF Passthrough" I get no sound.
> > >
> > >I've searched the archives and tried anything I could find.
> > >
> > >Setting the device to ALSA:plug:iec978 with "Enable ... Passthrough"
> > >checked gets me a loud buzzing sound.  Other then that I get no
> > >sounds.
> > >

> > The plug plugin only works with 2-channel sound.
> >
> > >I'm at a loss as to what to try now.
> > >

> > What does your receiver say?  The audio receiver should say something
> > about the mode of data it's receiving--"PCM" or "AC-3" or "Dolby
> > Digital" or something?  It's most likely a problem with your
> > receiver/receiver configuration.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> When pass through isn't enabled, the reciever says PCM 48 or 44
> depending on the source.  When it is enabled it is blank, no channels
> lit, though If I watch it closely, I see a Dec. Er. Flash up right
> when I start playback. So I guess the Reciever is getting a signal, it
> just can't understand it.  The reciever is a Sony STR-DE695.  I
> intially set up in my computer room with an little bit older Sony
> reciever, and had no luck there either, though I can't remember how
> much time I spent on it.  I'll look into the reciever, but it is
> auto-sensing as far as I know and just is plug and play pretty much no
> matter whats on the fiber.
>
> I'll try mplayer or xine with a nuv with surround and see how that goes.

So thats crazy.  I got it to work with mplayer with just the the -ac
hwac3 option.  It didn't work with the -ao alsa:device=hw=0.2 in the
command.

So It worked and I got 5.1 channel out through my reciever.  So I
think I don't have to specify a device.  So I go and change Mythtv to
have no sound device.  Of course that didn't work.  I  re-entered
ASLA:spdif, with Passthrough enabled, and played a recording.. and
guess what it worked.  I went though a bunch of recordings and they
all worked 5.1 channel or 3 channel then I tried live tv, and it was
good, and last up I tried live tv with my plextor convertX which
records to mp3, and that worked too.

I have no idea why it never worked earlier, as I know this was one of
the options I had tried.  only thing I did differently was got mplayer
to work inbetween Mythtv tries.