[mythtv-users] MythTV newbie

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 10:18:10 EST 2005

On 10/30/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

<snip>
> Running MySQL on a different server works the same as running it
> locally--with the exception that the MySQL client (Myth) will make
> connections using TCP (instead of Unix sockets) and MySQL permissions (
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/privilege-system.html ) must
> allow the MySQL client host (Myth box) to connect to the database.  Note
> that file permissions are irrelevant (from Myth's perspective) since the
> MySQL process on the MySQL server writes the table data (so only the
> MySQL user needs--should have--access to the files).  Myth simply sends
> SQL commands across the wire to the MySQL server.
>
> Mike

I thought this worked a little differently. I understand that for TV
and recordings, everything is done through MySQL and internal Myth
protocols, making NFS mounts and permissions somewhat irrelevant,
other than the BE being able to write to the recordings directory.

But with MythVideo and MythMusic (and other plugins), I thought that
the BE populated the MySQL tables to point to the proper file, but the
FE launched playback locally, meaning that the video and music
directories had to be mounted on the FE, and permissions set so the FE
could at least read the files.

By this I mean that there are no special setup steps involved in
getting the BE to show a recording on a remote FE other than setting
up MySQL -- the BE needs to see Recordings, but the FE only needs to
see the BE. But for the BE and remote FE to share music, video,
pictures, etc, those media have to be mounted as NFS/SMB and
accessible to both the FE and BE.

Do I have this wrong?

I'm also aware that pretty much everything in Myth is modular, and
it's at least theoretically possible to have a master BE that records
from a remote capture source, writes to a remote storage volume,
manages a remote MySQL, etc. I just meant to suggest that for
simplicity's sake it is better to keep as much as possible on the
(master) BE.