[mythtv-users] MythTV newbie

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 30 08:17:53 EST 2005

Dewey Smolka wrote:

>On 10/29/05, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>

>>Here's what I have:
>>
>>A bunch of games of all sorts, from Tuxracer to games in Czech and Japanese.
>>

>You didn't mention which version of Myth. If you're following Jarrod's
>Guide you've probably got the stable .18.1. If you're running the new
>Knoppmyth, it's based on an SVN build -- this is important because, as
>I understand it, the Mythgame stuff has been under some pretty heavy
>development lately and there are a lot of changes between the two.

Definitely true that MythGame has changed a lot in SVN; however, it
seems that KnoppMyth ( http://www.mysettopbox.tv/CHANGELOG.txt -- notice
the "0.18.2svn" ) is using the SVN version of release-18-fixes (
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/log/branches/release-0-18-fixes/mythtv ).
That version has only 12 changes since 0.18.1 (
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/log/tags/release-0-18-1 ), most of which are
fixes for existing functionality--as opposed to new features (the only
exception being the checkbox in the settings for OpenGL VSync).

KnoppMyth guys feel free to confirm this or correct me.  If I'm wrong
and what KnoppMyth calls 0.18.2svn is really from the SVN HEAD, then
everything you said about MythGame is very important.

>>A central server running MySQL.
>>

>Your Myth backend will need to run its own MySQL server.
>Theoretically, you could have it control a remote MySQL server but
>it's just a whole lot easier to let the BE do its thing.
>
>As long as it can read and write to the directories it needs --
>meaning permissions are properly set and directories properly mounted
>(locally, or through NFS or Samba) the BE can set up the MySQL tables
>and launch playback for virtually all your media.

Running MySQL on a different server works the same as running it
locally--with the exception that the MySQL client (Myth) will make
connections using TCP (instead of Unix sockets) and MySQL permissions (
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/privilege-system.html ) must
allow the MySQL client host (Myth box) to connect to the database.  Note
that file permissions are irrelevant (from Myth's perspective) since the
MySQL process on the MySQL server writes the table data (so only the
MySQL user needs--should have--access to the files).  Myth simply sends
SQL commands across the wire to the MySQL server.

Mike