[mythtv-users] Alternative interface for playing recordings?

Al Puzzuoli apuzzuoli at comcast.net
Sat Oct 29 15:10:39 EDT 2005

Hi,

just wondering whether there are any alternatives to using the KDE front end for browsing and playing recorded shows?

A little background as to why I'm asking:
I am a blind user, and have been a Linux enthusiast for years.  Those of us who can't see the screen are able to access information via screen reading software.  Currently, the most active projects in terms of screen reading on the Linux gui side are Gnopernicus:
http://www.baum.ro/gnopernicus_summary.html
and sun's Orca.  The problem right now is that at present, the aforementioned screen readers can only work with Gnome2/GTK2 applications.  Accessibility support is in the works for KDE, and should happen with the implementation of QT4; However, I'm guessing it'll be a matter of a year or two before we end users start to reap the benefits of these developments.

if anyone is curious, more information about KDE accessibility is available at:
http://accessibility.kde.org/

A lot of us in the blindness community are extremely excited about these homebrew PVR solutions.  Until recently, PVRs have been closed systems with on screen menus and therefore basically useless to us.  To date, the best solution I know of is a hacked Tivo running Tivoweb.  The Tivoweb interface is very accessible.it allows scheduling of recordings but just as importantly, with the screen interface, we are able to browse and play those recordings back.

My experience so far with MythTV has been as follows:
I am able to use the box as if it were a TV.  obviously, all basic functions, such as changing channels pausing, etc are available via the keyboard and/or the remote.
The program guide through Mythweb is extremely accessible, so scheduling shows is a snap.  however, I'm running into a wall when it comes to playing back those recordings.  From what I can deduce, the only way to do this conveniently appears to be via the frontend.  I see the .nuv files in my /video directory. I assume I could play the via the command line with mplayer, but due to the way they're named, I can't tell them apart.

Any pointers and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Al