[mythtv-users] Monitor CD/DVD with Fedora?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 28 16:23:42 EDT 2005

Brian Bosch wrote:

>I was having the same issues with /etc/fstab being re-written by fstab-sync
>so I am using this entry:
>
>/dev/hdb /media/cdrom iso9660 pamconsole,exec,noauto,user 0 0
>
>That is, I changed the fstype to "iso9660" from "auto" per Jarod's advice,

Which is good for CD's, but not for DVD's.

>and I removed "managed" from the options as this seems to cause fstab-sync
>to leave the entry alone. This *mostly* works (the entry survives a reboot)
>except that every now and then I have to ssh into the box and $ umount
>/dev/hdb. I don't know why that is... I'll have one of two problems; either
>xine will exit very quickly after trying to play a DVD with a quick flash of
>an error message saying something to effect that the device can't be read.
>Or, after watching the DVD, I can't eject it from the drive.

DVD's are not iso9660, they're udf.  I don't know why Jarod's guide
suggests iso9660, but I'd guess he was suggesting that for a CD drive,
not for a DVD drive used for both DVD's and CD's.  Otherwise, it must be
to work around some problem in FC4, in which case you can just ignore me...

Mike