[mythtv-users] Development update

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:54:05 EDT 2005

On 10/28/05, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
<snip/>

> > First rule of MythTV-dev is don't ask about MythTV-dev!

heh :)

> > But seriously... it will be released when its ready. If your anxious, build
> > from SVN. Its relatively stable considering how many changes go into it. If
> > you want an idea of what's been added you can search through the SVN commits.
> >
> > Lots of bug fixes, and some new ones, lots of feature updates for HDTV and DVB
> > use.
> >

> Is it still basically the same though?
> I've been reading bits and pieces about a new frontend daemon/frontend
> client architecture and other
> things like OpenGL UI rendering that seem to change Myth's core.
>
> Are these changes in the next gen, or the next next gen?
>
> I think the problem that many of us have with trying SVN is that we only
> have one mythtv system,
> and while we'd love to try SVN, we have family that expect Myth to be
> reliable. :) So all we have
> left is curiosity...

i too am curious about the future of MythTv.  but i know better than
to ask about it. ;)  it would be cool if there were updates from
decisions made by the devs that were posted on occassion.

Jesse, one thing you could try is looking at some of  the newer distro
releases.  KnoppMyth R5A22 was recently released and includes MythTv
from SVN.  it is a fairly quick and easy install on newer hardware.
if you're comfortable with tweaking Linux then i would say go ahead
and install it on your production machine (do a little research first,
and make backups ;)
but i would be hesitant to tell anyone that just 'uses' MythTv to
upgrade their production system regardless of the distro being used.
there's always that one gotcha ;)  but they can usually be resolved
over a few email exchanges to this list or by checking out the other
resources available (wikis, forums, etc).