[mythtv-users] An LVM'd drive died! What do I do...

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 09:58:29 EDT 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 16:06, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:42:15PM -0500, Andrew Close wrote:
> > On 10/27/05, Brandon Beattie <brandon+myth at linuxis.us> wrote:
> > <snip/>
> >
> > > Hopefully in the next few months myth will support storing to multiple
> > > directories, which would remove the need for LVM or having to worry
> > > about losing anything but what was on that drive.
> >
> > excellent thread! :)  i had to come back to the above statement
> > because i've seen it mentioned before and am just looking for a little
> > clarity.
> >
> > storing to multiple directories - what is meant by that?
> > do you want to store all your Lost episodes in /myth/tv/Lost, and all
> > of your SG-1 episodes in /myth/tv/SG-1?  so you have subdirectories
> > under /myth/tv.
> >
> > or do you mean breaking outthe directories into their own partitions -
> > /dev/hdb1 = /myth/tv/Lost
> > /dev/hdb2 = /myth/tv/SG-1
> >
> > you can kind of do this now, can't you?  without the subdirectories -
> > /dev/hdb1 = /myth/tv
> > /dev/hdb2 = /myth/video
> > etc...
>
> There have been a number of ways proposed.  My current thought of the
> "best" is to allow you to create "storage groups".  You can add
> directories to a storage group and list how much space in MB (or how
> much to leave free on that directories partition).  When you record a TV
> show you can have it save it to the general storage group, or have it
> save it to a specific one.
>
> The difficulty in any mutliple directory approach is what happens when
> you have 5 GB free in this directory, 20GB free in another, and 500K in
> another.  Do we split up video streams, do we move files between them,
> and so on.  a 4 hour HD show that's 36GB can be tricky.  If you had 6
> drives and anywhere from 5GB to 20GB free, which do you store to?  Add
> in auto-expire and it gets even more tricky.
>
> Noone has felt like they know how things should be done enough to
> actually write it, so support has never been added.
>
> --Brandon

I had a similar concept, though slightly different, i think... My idea was to
have a general mythtv recordings directory, under which all harddrives would
be mounted (ie /mythrec/1 /mythrec/2 /mythrec/3 etc). Have one for new
recordings. The rest would be for recordings flagged for "archiving" of
sorts. So say you want to keep every episode of a favorite show you could
flag it for archiving and it would place it onto one of the other directories
(Drive). If a show is flagged for archiving before its recorded it could be
recorded to one of these other directories automatically, if not it would go
to the general recording directory and then later moved.
The other option is to just have myth look at all the drives as a general
recording space and let it fill drives as it see's fit. I wouldn't bother
trying to split shows across drives, if one drive has 500megs that won't fit
a single recordings, chalk it up to a minor loss and move on, there's a
reason you've got more than one drive. Its not as compact as an LVM but at
this point probably easier to set up for most people.

Does anyone know if KnopMyth supports creating LVM's?

Steve