[mythtv-users] FYI How to get Dell 2405FPW LCD to work with DVI

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Oct 27 14:25:11 EDT 2005

Just in case someone wants to get this working you should know that not
all Single Link DVI is created the same. In particular my nice fanless
GeForce FX5200 had a maximum pixel lock of 135Mhz over DVI:

(--) NVIDIA(1): DFP-0: maximum pixel clock: 135 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(1): DFP-0: Internal Single Link TMDS

Unless you have Dual Link DVI card, you need a single link
video card that supports at least 155 Mhz over Single Link DVI....
The best single link cards support 165 Mhz, so it is possible.

I dug a Quadra out of my box of junk, it supports DualLink DVI:

(--) NVIDIA(1): DFP-0: maximum pixel clock: 330 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(1): DFP-0: Internal Single Link TMDS

It has no problem driving the monitor, but I did have to go
online and buy a Dual Link DVI cable for about $7 + S/H.

BTW I included the second line because the driver still reports
"Single Link" with the Dual Link DVI port...

-- Daniel