[mythtv-users] What does make install actually do

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 27 13:11:05 EDT 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 12:20, George Nassas wrote:
> On 27-Oct-05, at 12:07 PM, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>
> > Managing simultaneous RPM-based and locally compiled installations
> > of
> > any software package is pretty tricky.  You might find it easier to
> > simply manage multiple locally-compiled versions, with one of them
> > being a stable release (say 0.18.1) that you've compiled from
> > source.
>
> If your locally compiled version is tracking svn there's also the
> problem of schema changes which happen often enough in myth. Once you
> get one your stable release becomes useless and you're tied to the
> local build. A few months ago there was some discussion about
> maintaining backward compatibility but the final word was it isn't
> worth the bother.

True, but as you note below, it's not often a database change is
disruptive to the point of breaking compatibility with older versions,
and it's usually noted on the -commits and -dev lists when such a
disruptive change is committed.  Most of the time backwards
compatibility is maintained, if only by virtue of the fact that Myth is
stable and mature enough that disruptive database schema changes don't
happen too often any more.

> For my setup I adapted the debian source packages to build with
> current
> svn and create new debs whenever an interesting feature gets checked
> in. You just have to watch the dev/commits list and hang back whenever
> a disruptive change makes it in which isn't very often.

-JAC