[mythtv-users] OT: suspend to disc....

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Thu Oct 27 12:09:24 EDT 2005

Bryan Niederberger wrote:

> Jules Gosnell wrote:
>
>> I try not to leave unnecessary electrical stuff running overnight,
>> but my mythfrontend takes quite a while to boot/shutdown.
>>
>> I have been looking at what it would take to be able to suspend-to
>> and resume-from disc.
>>
>> It's a Via Epia Ezra (i586) running FC3 with the latest FC3 kernel.
>>
>> This looks like the best option - http://www.suspend2.net/ - but
>> involves custom built and patched kernels and no doubt a long time
>> spent tailoring scripts to unload drivers before shutting down and
>> reload them after starting up....
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone else was doing this sort of thing with
>> their myth-frontend box and what their experiences had been....
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>

>> Jules
>>

> I went down this path with my Epia M10000 and got mixed results.  I am
> using Fedora 3 and found a site that keeps recent kernels and packages
> for software suspend in Fedora 3 and 4.  The link is
> http://mhensler.de/swsusp/ if you want to check it out.  Getting
> things set up was no real problem, as I recall it basically consisted
> of installing the hibernate package, installing a custom mkinitrd for
> swsusp and installing a patched kernel.  After that, software suspend
> worked like a champ simply by executing the hibernate command as root.
> Overall it works well, boot times are roughly 30 seconds to resume
> from suspend mode.  This could probably be faster but my Epia a little
> anemic in the processing area.  The main reason I have not been using
> hibernate is that the resumed Unichrome driver has some sort of
> problem with Myth.  Although I can see the desktop/frontend perfectly
> whenever I attempt to play a recording myth just displays a black
> screen with audio (I'm not using XVMC so I don't think it's a problem
> there).  At this point I got frustrated and never really looked into
> what the exact problem was.  If you fair better with your Epia let me
> know any tips/tricks.

Thanks, Bryan,

I will have a look at this - i was sure that there would be some device
that didn't like it :-) and I am using XvMC - still, when I have some
time i may try installing this stuff...

BTW - do I need to repartition the disc, or can it suspend to a large
file ? Did you manage to attach the hibernate command to your power
on/off button (it needs to be wife/child proof :-) ) ?

Cheers

Jules

> Bryan

crystallises out around it."