[mythtv-users] An LVM'd drive died! What do I do...

David myth at dgreaves.com
Thu Oct 27 12:04:14 EDT 2005

To answer the OP's question.

 "Tough. You WILL have lost data - maybe not everything."

You should have used RAID5 then the answer would have been:
 "take the dead disk out and put in a replacement, wait a few hours and
you're good to go"

Brandon Beattie wrote:
quite a bit that I happen to disagree with including gems like:

>  Raid to several of us who run TB+ LVM's for a myth box
>is a dumb idea.

No it's not.

It depends what you want.
Raid5 provides *redundancy* and protects your data from certain common
failures (like a hard disk dying).
It doesn't provide backups (but who really wants to backup a Tb of TV?)

It's a fantastic solution if you want to keep recording and watching TV
when a single drive (or 2 drives for RAID6) fails.

There's no messing about shrinking filesystems, praying that the data
lives on the 'right bit' of your LVM etc etc.
Best of all you can (like me) combine raid5 and LVM to allow expansion
(and shrinking - if you happen to be the one geek in the world who uses
less disk space over time) and reallocation of space.

David
PS SMART is not psychic. It cannot tell your hard disk's future. It can
only tell you that *it has started to die*.