[mythtv-users] hdtv on low end hardware

Jim jimoo at rcn.com
Wed Oct 26 00:51:54 EDT 2005

Ok, so now that my prior question was answered (pvr 350 won't decode hdtv
stream from hd5000), I'm moving on to the next logical step.

I'm trying to avoid having to upgrade to better hardware but I do realize
that it may be the best solution.

So I have a PIII 800 in an abit se-6 motherboard, with a hd5000 air2pc
tuner and gforce 440mx video card. I installed the latest knoppmyth which
supports the hd5000.  Right now, I'm just displaying on the monitor. The
goal is to display on a standard tv soon and eventually an hdtv in the
distant future.

The regular def digital stations seem to play with just a minor stutter.
Annoying but I can live with it. The hdtv channels stutter terribly and
eventually lock up. I thought that maybe switching to a geforce 5600fx
would help. It seemed to make no difference.

So the question is, can I tweak some things to make the hdtv channels play
better? I keep reading how the Nvidia cards have hardware mpeg decoding
(which I was hoping my pvr 350 was going to do). It seems like the nvidia
card should do almost all of the work. My little pIII should not have to do
much. How can I tell if the nvidia card is really doing the heavy lifting
or not?

Thanks for  any help,
Jim