[mythtv-users] Seattle Comcast firewire not working as of today -- 5C?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 25 18:08:56 EDT 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:

>On Tuesday 25 October 2005 16:30, Andy Alsup wrote:
>
>>So, I'm no lawyer, but I think this means that requiring 5C compliant
>>devices in order to record content that isn't protected is not
>>allowed.
>>
>true. but the question is, what is considered "protected". We know OTA is
>required to be openly available, but it sounds like anything you have to pay
>for is considered protected under the law, meaning they can 5C protect the
>rest of the channels.

Do we know this applies to both *digital* and *analog* OTA?  I've never
seen any official statement that anything other than *analog*-only basic
cable tier service must be provided unencrypted.

I know that EFF and other organizations have made a lot of comments to
FCC about this issue, but all I've seen are comments, like:

    - "III. DIGITAL OVER-THE-AIR BROADCASTS MUST REMAIN UNENCRYPTED WHEN
RETRANSMITTED OVER CABLE" (Mar 28, 2003) at
http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/HDTV/20030328_fcc_cable-ce_comments.pdf
    - "III. TREATMENT OF OTA BROADCASTS ON BASIC TIER CABLE" (Feb 13,
2004) at http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/HDTV/fnprm_comments.php
    - "II. THE COMMISSION SHOULD RETAIN ITS RULE PROHIBITING ENCRYPTION
OF RE-TRANSMITTED BROADCAST TELEVISION ON CABLE" (Mar 15, 2004) at
http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/HDTV/?f=eff_fnprm_reply.html

So, does anyone have a link to any official
ruling/statement/interpretation/whatever...  (I'm not looking for a
yes/no answer.  I'm hoping for a reference.)

Thanks,
Mike