[mythtv-users] Firewire source and channel changer

Brian C. Huffman huffman at graze.net
Tue Oct 25 14:01:35 EDT 2005

All,

Is there anyone that is successfully using Firewire as both a source as
well as a method to change channels on the DCT6200 (using another
source).

I'm trying to setup Firewire to handle the analog channels and then use
a PVR-250 w/ the 6200ch contributed program to change channels on the
other source.  I've setup two different lineups in zap2it and that part
is working as it should.

However, I have spent hours troubleshooting and trying different
combinations of point to point vs. broadcast and I can't get both to
work reliably.  Somtimes the firewire works great by itself - meaning I
can enter and exit liveTV repeatedly and flawlessly and sometimes it
doesn't.  Sometimes I can use LiveTV in the Firewire and then switch
back and forth to the other input and change channel using 6200ch, but
at most, I've been able to make this flip-flop about 4 times before the
firewire stops working.

When this happens, sometimes I'm able to stop mythbackend, unload all
*1394* modules, reload the modules, and then start mythbackend and it
will work again.  Sometimes not.  This is one of the most finicky and
unpredictable things that I think I've ever worked with.

FYI - I've experimented w/ the options mentioned in another email:

> plugctl -n 1 opcr[0].channel=63
> plugctl -n 1 opcr[0].bcast_connection=1

or:
> plugctl -n 1 opcr[0].n_p2p_connections=1

Neither one *completely* fixes my problem.  I've gotten either of these
(with some fiddling) to get the firewire source to work
predictably....until I bring the other source w/ the 6200ch binary into
the equation - then it goes to crap again.  :-(

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian