[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Transcode to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 without quality loss?

Mike Frisch mfrisch at isurfer.ca
Tue Oct 25 13:47:08 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:03:55PM -0400, Steve Adeff wrote:
> I need to see if mencoder requires the ProjectX step or not (I think
> the mplayer demuxer is able to handle the file without the need
> though), but i think I might be passing all my recordings through
> mencoder for processing (ivtc, crop, resize), save as a huffyuv and
> then open in avidemux2 for commercial cutting and final encode.

How do you tell mencoder to simply remux the file instead of transcoding
it?

> Which is kinda nice, cause I think one can then setup MythTV to automatically
> run the mencoder part right after recording(or during? i haven't looked into
> this part of MythTV yet), with custom settings for the show in question for
> the shows I want to backup, then take the huffYUV file and edit in avidemux2.

Sounds good!  I haven't tried doing this conversion using ProjectX from
within MythTV, but that would be very useful.

java -jar ProjectX.jar -out outdir srcfile.nuv

works great from the console without the need for user interaction.

In the meantime, I've written a quick little perl script that dumps the
program description, filename, and date so I can see what file is what
show.

Mike.