[mythtv-users] Trouble running mythtv-setup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 25 11:01:09 EDT 2005

Robert Callicotte wrote:

> I have assembled a PC running FC4 per instructions listed at Jarod's
> site.  Everything works up until I try to run mythtv-setup.  It looks
> like the X-server just freezes up.  When I ssh into the machine top
> reveals that "X" is using up 100% of the processor!!  I am running FC4
> on an AMD Athlon 64.  ECS MoBo (SiS chipset).  200 GB Maxtor SATA
> drive.  I am able to capture video and sound using the Hauppage WinTV
> card.  Everything displays properly, just that mythtv does will not
> complete setup.  Here is an excerpt from lspci

> /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp
> and utmp
> /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -a -w
> /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0"
> "mythtv"
> xset:  bad font path element (#159), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>     Directory missing fonts.dir
>     Incorrect font server address or syntax
> 2005-10-23 02:55:07.087 Switching to square mode (G.A.N.T.)
> Corrupt JPEG data: bad Huffman code
> X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
>   Major opcode:  2
>   Minor opcode:  0
>   Resource id:  0x600007

You don't have the appropriate permissions on X.  Looks like you're
using ssh to run mythtv-setup, but you're using untrusted X11
forwarding.  If so, you need to run "ssh -Y" instead of "ssh -X".  If
not,  it may have something to do with GDM not properly setting
permissions on things--which would also explain those gdm errors...
Then again, you might want to check the theme to see if the images are
actually corrupt (as mentioned above) before digging deep into GDM
simply because it should take much less time to check.

Mike