[mythtv-users] EPG data and the program table

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 10:11:14 EDT 2005

Does anyone have any docco on what the different columns in the
program table should be populated with and how htis relates to what's
in the XMLTV file? For example, I believe the users in the US get EPG
data which populates the program.category_type column with 'Movie'
which then lets other apps written for MythTV such as "tvwish" find
programs that are movies.

Here in Australia the EPG data is very ordinary for a number of
reasons I won't go into here. For example, we have no guide data that
allows mythfilldatabase to populate the program.category_type column.
However, if we knew what the values are supposed to go into the
program table columns then we could write scripts to do some automatic
conversions such as converting <category>Movie</category> in the XML
file to "<category_type>Movie</category_type>.

I'm just using category_type as an example. There are lots of others
such as programid, syndicatedepisodenumber, showtype, seriesid -
hopefully you get my drift. If someone could point to some docco or
provide further info on this then that would be extremely helpful for
those of us who live in EPG-challenged countries.

Regards,
Phill