[mythtv-users] FC4 & MythTV - Computer powering down... sort of! - FRUSTRATION!!

David Bennett davidbennett1979 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 23:05:47 EDT 2005

I am getting completely frustrated and am hoping someone has some
suggestions. This might be Linux related, but I have a feeling it is
hardware, tell me what you think. (A while back I posted about my
Linux system crashing, here is where we are at:)

I am running a Gigabye Motherboard with Fedora Core 4. Every once in
awhile the computer shuts down. Not fully (I still get LED lights) but
all the fans, hard drives stop running. Funny thing is I can't power
down with a long power, and sometimes even when I pill out the plug it
doesn't turn on. I just get the light and no spinning.

After fiddling with the motherboard, moving things around etc I can
get it back on again. It could be 5 minutes, it could be 2 weeks, but
eventually the problem returns.

I have tried removing memory, adding memory, changing slots,
reinserting everything, taking out one PCI card at a time (TV tuner
and a WinModem) but it doesn't make a difference.

Power isn't copletely off but nothing spins. Stays like that for awhile.

Has anyone encoutered anything like this?
Any ideas?

Sorry for the trouble.
David Bennett
davidbennett1979 at gmail.com