[mythtv-users] best THX/Dolby digital speaker system for price?

Tim Fenn fenn at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 24 14:58:33 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 02:48:32PM -0400, Tom Lichti wrote:
> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>
> >Steve Adeff wrote:

> >>I've yet to see a an all encompasing system for less than $500US that
> >>was worth the money. If your at all interested in it sounding good
> >>expect to spend closer to $1000US. My opinion, buy an Energy or
> >>Paradigm satelite system, which will cost ~$500 and a standalone
> >>receiver, a good one can be had for $300.
> >>

> >That's out of my league. I'll buy a flat screen TV before I spend that
> >kind of cash on audio.
> >I'm currently using an old 2.1 system from 1995. :) I'm just looking
> >to upgrade to something
> >that doesn't suck completely and doesn't cost more than $300. Best
> >bang for at or under $300.
> >
> ebay, hands down, for that budget. If you can buy stuff local and save
> on shipping, even better.

I was on your kind of budget, and went with the Logitech Z5500 system,
which have the handy advantage of a built-in digital decoder, so I
didn't have to buy a receiver (and who wants to have all that hardware
lying around?).  I just pass it the digital output from my onboard
A7N8X-E, and it handles the stream appropriately, digital or not.

HTH,
Tim

--
Morals?  I eat communism and $h!t America, brother.  --Seanbaby