[mythtv-users] Capturing legacy VHS tapes

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:52:25 EDT 2005

On 10/24/05, Manuel Lemos <mlemos at acm.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> on 10/19/2005 06:54 PM Nick Rout said the following:
> >> Well the problem is that I have not found a capture program for Linux
> >> that works with this capture card. A simpler capture program would do
> if
> >> it worked. MythTV is recommended by the vendor of WIS chip which is
> what
> >> the card uses and it works. Any other video capture tools that work
> >> (besides command line tools with no preview) would be welcome.
> >>
> >> I just wanted to make my legacy video captures less burocratic and not
> >> have to create a schedule to extract each chapter in small files that I
> >> could delete once they are moved to DVD. If MythTV cannot work like
> this
> >> now, I suppose it may not be so hard to improve it. That is why I
> >> wondered if a feature request could be submitted and it would be
> >> implemented soon or later.
> >>

> > Manuel, I have a hardware mpeg encoding card (Hauppauge) and you can
> > simply do:
> >
> > cat /dev/video0 > file.mpeg
> >
> > In other words it just dumps the output of the card to a file. It works.
> > I wonder if it would for your style of card?
>
> I think I am not expressing myself clearly. What you suggest is what I
> am trying to avoid.
>
> The card Linux drivers work well with MythTV but not with other common
> Linux capture software. I can see live TV with MythTV because it
> explicitly supports this card configuration. The only problem is that
> there seems to be no way in MythTV to start and end a recording without
> scheduling it.
>
> The other alternatives suggested by the vendor is to use the command
> line recording tool that comes with the drivers or use Freevo. The
> command line tool works but it is not confortable to use, specially
> because I need to make too many capture from VHS tapes. As for Freevo, I
> simply could not configure it so it can get started. It seems it was
> meant for geeks only.
>
> So, if anybody has any other solution besides command line capture
> tools, I would still appreciate a suggestion.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Manuel Lemos

This is definitely a hack. Schedule a recording on channel 3 (or whatever
your VCR modulates to) that is longer than the your VHS recording, plug the
VCR in to the ant in on your tuner card and press play when the scheduled
recording starts. When you're done use the cutlist to edit it down and then
use a mysql client to change the program details to be what you want. If
you're not familiar with the CLI mysql client there is a GUI on the mysql
site.
 good luck!

Devan