[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Transcode to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 without quality loss?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:44:21 EDT 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 09:45, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 11:03:32PM -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:
> > You know, I just mount my Myth NFS share in Windows XP and use Tsunami
> > MPEG's DVDAuthor to grab 4 .nuv's (Or .mpg's as the newer svn versions
> > are correctly naming them) which have been recorded in 720x480 from
> > one of my PVR250's, and creating an image (And burning) them directly.
>
> Seems like this might be the best solution (if the software actually
> works, of course).  The Linux options for processing video have never
> proven themselves for me.  There are always issues with A/V sync or
> simply the inability to properly process files.
>
> I could always just write a script to dump program names based on their
> filenames or something like that.

Have you tried processing your mpeg with ProjectX before encoding? I've had
great luck using ProjectX, mencoder, and avidemux2 on my ATSC mpeg2 files.

as for quality loss, YOU WILL ALWAYS GET QUALITY LOSS WHEN TRANSCODING. this
is meant for the list, not just you. but I see it enough. your working with
lossy formats and changing attributes about it, so you will always loose
quality. Now, if your mpeg2 files meet the DVD standards, ProjectX can
convert to an mpeg2-ps from an mpeg2-ts that should work for DVD's. it just
remuxes the files without any transcoding.

Steve