[mythtv-users] Problem with tuning DVB card - tzap, mplayer ok mythtv not

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:59:43 EDT 2005

On 24/10/05, Simon Allcorn <simon.allcorn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for the response, I think you may have hit the nail on the head !
>
> > I got these from tzap and, as I say, they worked for me.
> How did you get tzap to do this ? I can't see an option for this !
> Can't see a version number in tzap either  (downloaded 20th April I
> think). Can you post the full output of tzap showing you this config ?
> thanks

Simon,

Actually I mis-remembered.

The file is used by tzap but generated by scan.

This was the command I used to generate the channels.conf for tzap.

# ./scan dvb-t/uk-CrystalPalace > channels.conf

(IIRC scan, tzap and uk-CrystalPalace were included in the dvb-utils package)

Though I guess you must already have this working

> Can anyone tell me where mythtv stores this dvb tuning information ? I
> presume in the database although I'm not sure. I think it may be
> highly possible that the config that mythtv is looking at may be
> different to that which tzap is using.

You're right, that channels.conf is not used by mythtv, which holds
its channel parameters in the database.   I think there used to be a
utility which sucked the channels.conf file the database, but I used
mythtv's channel scan which worked a treat.

I took the first line from the tzap channels.conf (which happened to
be BBC1) and copied those parameters(the ones I posted earlier) into
myth's scan dialog. It scanned all the muliplexes and channels (I
don't know how) and populated the database.

If you get stuck, I'm pretty sure that this is the guide I was following

http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html       (thanks Martin)