[mythtv-users] Apple Bluetooth Remote Instead? Was: Microsoft Remote Keyboard

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 24 12:02:00 EDT 2005

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:04:38 +0200, Oliver Groht wrote:

>ffrr schrieb:
>
>> Oliver Groht wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i'm dealing with the idea to buy the MS. Remote Keyboard for XP MCE.
>>> Does anybody have some experience with this device under Linux/MythTV?
>>> My Mythbox works very well, but i'm looking a long time for a nice
>>> remote device with keyboard,
>>> mouse and function keys esp. for Media Center applications.
>>>
>>> I know this device needs a IR receiver from MS. I'm looking for lirc
>>> support, but i think there is nothing
>>> for this device. Only for XBOX hardware. Right, or am i wrong?
>>

>> I have had the following plan for the box that will live next to my
>> TV.  Yes, it needs a remote control, but I am so tired of remotes that
>> don't cover enough functions, so I was just going to get a wireless
>> USB keyboard (I presume like the MS one you mention, although I had a
>> Logitech one in mind) and use that.  Sure it's big, but I guess I
>> won't lose it that way :-)
>>
>> Anyway, no need for lirc. It's a real keyboard.   The remote that came
>> with my DVB card works the same way. The USB IR receiver is seen by
>> linux as a real keyboard.  So using a full keyboard, there will be no
>> confusion/tedium mapping key pressings to functions, just use the ones
>> you normally use when sitting in front of the computer. p for pause, m
>> for menu, arrow keys to move, type data into a field, user the <enter>
>> key, and <esc> etc etc

Yesterday I was browsing at a computer shop and noticed that Apple sells
wireless remote keyboards as well as their usual USB connected keyboards.
The wireless remote keyboards use BLUETOOTH to talk to the computer.
So a USB Bluetooth adapter to give bluetooth capability to your box, plus
this keyboard might do the trick.
Supposedly there is a Linux driver.
The keyboards are quite small and slick.

AND there is a bluetooth wireless mouse....Together the price was about
$100 Canadian...

Geoff
R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638