[mythtv-users] Re: Transcode to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 without quality loss?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Oct 24 10:14:55 EDT 2005

Ramon Redondo wrote:

>>> It would help if you mentioned what you use for capture... is it a
>>> hardware MPEG encoder (i.e. PVR-150) or is it just a frame grabber?
>>>
>> PVR-250
>>

> I'm going to let someone else answer the 'best way to make a DVD from
> a PVR card, then.

I use MythBurn. It's a patch for the MythWeb www interface, along with
some shell scripts.
Basically, it does my commercial cutting, transcodes to AC3 audio, and
burns the resulting
mpeg2 directly. There's no video transcode necessary. In fact
(disappointing, actually) MythBurn
isn't even capable of transcoding video. So if you use it your videos
MUST be in mpeg2. Bummer.
I'd like to transcode my mpeg2s to mpeg4 to save spave and still be able
to burn them, but oh well.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin