[mythtv-users] No audio on recording with Hauppauge PVR-500

John Helmuth john at helmuth.org
Mon Oct 24 08:58:00 EDT 2005

On 10/23/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> John Helmuth wrote:
>
> > Live TV in mythtv video and audio works fine including pausing and
> > rewind, etc. But when I record, the recordings do not have audio.
> >
> > mplayer /dev/video0 works fine with video and audio.
> >
> > mplayer /home/video/1064_20051023134400_20051023134400.nuv (a file
> > holding the recorded video from mythtv) shows the video, but no audio.
> >
> > Here's some details of my configuration:
> >
> > Hardware:
> > Shuttle XPC SN41G2V3
> > Athlon XP
> > 1GB of memory
> > 200gb hard drive
> > Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE
> >
> > Software:
> > Gentoo (kernel 2.6.12-gentoo-r6)
> > ivtv version 0.3.8 (compiled from source)
> > mythtv 0.18.1 (using ebuild media-tv/mythtv-0.18.1-r1)
> >
> > mythtv is configured to output sound through ALSA:dmix. I originally
> > had it going through /dev/dsp, but it works the same either way.
> >
> > I've googled, and tried various things, but nothing seems to affect
> > this. Any ideas?
>
> Use the tveeprom provided by ivtv.
>
> Mike

I checked and was using the tveeprom from ivtv, (I had renamed the various
*.ko files from the kernel.)

While researching how to do this (I had forgotten exactly what was
involved), I noticed the latest stable ivtv had changed, so I upgraded to
ivtv-0.4.0, and now the audio works!

Huzzah!

--John Helmuth
john at helmuth.org