[mythtv-users] Frontend freeze when deleting recording

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 11:34:33 EDT 2005

On 10/23/05, Steve Pugh <stevepugh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > You might want to check the backendlog on your
> > system for any IOBOUND
> > messages that correspond to the times when your
> > system hung.
>
> Sure enough, there they are - ran the backend from a
> terminal and saw them when trying to delete files. I
> did *not* see any in the log files, perhaps I don't
> have a verbose enough output??
>
> Ah well, late yesterday I put XFS onto the larger of
> my HDs and set Myth to stick recordings there, and
> this morning I was able to delete several old shows
> *from Mythweb*. Will see if I can delete from the
> frontend with more success and report my findings.
>
> Thank you for the pointers, at least I know a little
> something about my foe. :)
>
> You are welcome, sir! And a big Thank You for bravely installing XFS on
your recordings partition(s). Whatever feedback you can provide will be most
welcome.

My guess is that there are quite few MythTV folks that are not aware of the
"delete-a-recording-while-recording" I/O bottleneck. They, and I, will be
most interested in the results you might observe regarding filesystem
stability and how fast XFS can delete a recording concurrent with recording
a program.

Thanks again, Steve.

--
MM