[mythtv-users] Pre/Post Recording Commands

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 23 08:39:47 EDT 2005

Preston A. Elder wrote:

>>If BOINC is set up properly (to run jobs at nice 19), it shouldn't
>>affect your system.  I run BOINC on mine and don't disable it and it's
>>never caused any problems--or, TTBOMK, had any affect other than using
>>idle processor time.  Have you noticed issues that clear up by manually
>>disabling BOINC?
>>

>Yeah, BOINC is setup as nice, but its not THAT nice (it still has to get SOME
>CPU cycles, and when it does, it gobbles them right up), when I'm watching
>live TV, I DO still notice that it is a little jumpy if I don't disable
>BOINC.  But this is because MythTV is taking 80-90% of my CPU (unfortunately
>my XV support doesn't work, so I have to use standard X11 rendering, which is
>much slower).
>
>I've asked for XV support to be fixed, since my XV support works just fine
>under both mplayer and xawtv, in fact, MythTV is the ONLY application where I
>have XV problems (something about it failing to initialize the colour map, I
>can post the error again if anyone wants to look into it).
>
>But yes, I do notice a difference between BOINC enabled and not.

OK.  I can see it having an effect without Xv if your system is nearly
maxed out on playback.

TTBOMK, there is no way to run a command before/after recordings and
before/after playing back video.  Therefore, I suggest you disable BOINC
in the short term and fix Xv in the long term.  (I know, easier said
than done.)

Mike