[mythtv-users] Microsoft Remote Keyboard

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sun Oct 23 07:50:55 EDT 2005

Oliver Groht wrote:

>> I have had the following plan for the box that will live next to my
>> TV.  Yes, it needs a remote control, but I am so tired of remotes
>> that don't cover enough functions, so I was just going to get a
>> wireless USB keyboard (I presume like the MS one you mention,
>> although I had a Logitech one in mind) and use that.  Sure it's big,
>> but I guess I won't lose it that way :-)
>>
>> Anyway, no need for lirc. It's a real keyboard.   The remote that
>> came with my DVB card works the same way. The USB IR receiver is seen
>> by linux as a real keyboard.  So using a full keyboard, there will be
>> no confusion/tedium mapping key pressings to functions, just use the
>> ones you normally use when sitting in front of the computer. p for
>> pause, m for menu, arrow keys to move, type data into a field, user
>> the <enter> key, and <esc> etc etc
>

> And what's with the nice function keys like "live TV" "EPG" and so on?
> How can i this translate for using?

Well, you can remap ANY key to whatever function you desire (there's
even a plugin for myth to do it, and I think you can do it via the web
interface too).   If you wanted special dedicated keys, rather than
might try one of those fancier keyboards that have extra keys for
multimedia and system control. Just redefine what they do (and some will
have obvious uses already anyway, such as Volume up and down, play/pause
etc)  The one in front of me has all the multimedia keys, plus a bunch
of others.  One section has Internet functions.  I could easily reuse
them when Myth was running. Home could become 'LiveTV', Mail could
become EPG, and so on....