[mythtv-users] Low end experiment with latest Knoppmyth

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sat Oct 22 22:16:18 EDT 2005

I wanted to see whether a very low end machine I had kicking around,
would work with a DVB card and using knoppmyth.

Machine is...

533MHz Celeron
nVidia TNT2 16MB video card (external VGA to composite video converter
box) running at 640x480
512MB RAM
slow IDE drives (a 4 GB and a 15 GB - not intending to do much recording
:-))
Twinhan DVB-T 3020C Mini Ter TV card
Knoppmyth R5A22

Firstly, ALL hardware works out of the box !   Only thing I 'cheated' on
was to import a channels.conf file that I generated on my other machine,
rather than scanning for channels during setup.

Performance... well it was ALMOST fast enough.  So close.  Just a slight
periodic pause while watching live TV.  Turning off deinterlacing made
it ALMOST perfect.   Recording seemed to work fine, with no pauses in
the video like live TV.  Maybe the 15GB disk I was recording to was
faster than the 4GB disk that the live ringbuffer was on.  Should have
tried pushing the ringbuffer onto the other disk maybe.

Picture on the screen was just a bit under par.  A bit blurry around the
edges.  Not surprising using composite out on an external video
converter box.  I am sure a nice newer cheap video card with svideo out
would give a great picture.

This experiment has been very helpful in my understanding just what type
of hardware I need for a standalone myth box.  Just thought I'd relate
my experiences here in case it was of interest to anyone else,
especially after all the great help I have received of late.  Note:  no
glitches were apparent during the short test.  I am convinced now at
least that this cheap DVB card is a great choice for use with MythTV.
When I get a better box, I might put a couple of them in it.