[mythtv-users] Frontend freeze when deleting recording

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:00:01 EDT 2005

On 10/21/05, Steve Pugh <stevepugh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am running my Myth system with a PVR-250 for
> capture, and a PVR-350 for capture and playback
> through the 350's framebuffer.
>
> Things are gorgeous, and I am thrilled to report that
> since upgrading ivtv to 0.4.0 I have yet to see a hard
> freeze during playback (previously, I would have to
> hard reset once per "viewing evening" because the
> framebuffer froze up solid, even though the OSD
> display showed life).
>
> However, I am still experiencing a solid framebuffer
> freezeup when, after watching a show, I choose either
> of the two delete options available to me. The
> machine itself is still running, and mythbackend
> continues to record, but the frontend locks up.
>
> A search of the archives turned up some old (2003)
> posts which leaned toward ivtv as the issue - however,
> I've not had any reply from that list so I am begging
> your indulgence.
>
> If any kind souls can offer guidance or suggestions, I
> would be most appreciative. The output is beautiful,
> so the sooner I can rock-solidify it, the quicker I
> can bask in the exceptionally high WAF that the system
> deserves ;-)
>
> Thoughts? Recommendations? Good curry recipes?
>
> Deleting a recording while recording is underway, or while some other I/O
is active, MAY result in the system hanging. The system may recover in a few
seconds, or it may seem to be permanently hung. You can search the archives
for the terms "IOBOUND" and/or "discontinuity" and read about more
difficulties when a recording is deleted.

Some may claim that using a particular filesystem can avoid the IOBOUND
condition, but the filesystem might have some other risks associated with
it.
I use ext3 filesystem because it is reliable and stable, but if I forget to
manually delete old Letterman, Leno, etc., shows, then I get corrupted
recordings. The backendlog shows IOBOUND messages that correspond exactly
with the times of the corruption.

I would like to (someday) ask for MythTV to provide support for scheduling
"UN-recording" of programs. Instead of AutoExpire happening immediately
within two minutes of the start of recording a program, the delete would be
deferred until the time when the backend determines that it is idle. At that
time, the backend has nothing to do, and usually shuts down the system just
after scheduling the system to power-on in time for the next recording.

Besides scheduling the next power-on, the backend could check if there had
been any "UN-recordings" requested, delete those recordings, and then shut
down.

You might want to check the backendlog on your system for any IOBOUND
messages that correspond to the times when your system hung.

--
MM