[mythtv-users] Re: Xbox as FE

Vladan Bato vbato at ieee.org
Thu Oct 20 20:01:45 UTC 2005

Greg wrote:

> I've got the same message in my dmesg, and my (MS) remote works fine.
>
>> Before tossing the remote away and looking for another one, I'd like to
>> konw where the problem actually is.
>
> I wonder if any video game stores in your area rent them?  That would be a
> sure way to see if it's just your particular 3rd party brand or something.

I haven't seen any video stores here renting Xboxes, and I don't have any
friends with an orginal Xbox remote.

However I think that it's a problem with the particular remote (or better,
the remote dongle) that I have.

By poking in the /proc/usb/devices, I discovered that the remote is
actually seen as a gamepad and handled by the xpad driver. This also means
that lirc never sees it.

When I press some keys on the remote, I can see the mouse cursor moving
(due to the xpad mouse emulation) but it doesn't work correctly (i.e. each
key makes the cursor move in a particular direction and it continues to
move after the key is released, until it either hits the edge of the
screen or another key is pressed).

I guess I'll have to spend the €30 for a genuine Microsoft DVD kit.

--
Vladan Bato
vbato at ieee.org