[mythtv-users] Building mythplugins

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Thu Oct 20 11:41:32 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 09:58:50AM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> MythBrowser is for browsing the Internet from the frontend
> Mythweb is like a web frontend usually installed on the backend or other
> web server.

Any chance of getting MythBrowser mentioned in the FAQ (aside from
the appearance of the name in the example `./configure --help`
output), both to avoid confusing anyone else in the future and for
the sake of completeness?  (I would offer to do it, but I don't know
enough about MythBrowser to document it beyond the above and it's not
a plugin that I have any interest in using, so I won't know it any
better in the future.)

Who would I talk to about submitting a FAQ patch to change the
section 13.2 heading from "Completing the Installation" to just
"Installation" (or otherwise making it clear that MythWeb's install
consists solely of copying it into place without any need to compile
it first)?  Probably be good to also include a note in section 12
and/or the `./configure --help` output stating that you don't need to
configure/make MythWeb.

> MythDVD plays DVDs as well as rips them IIRC

"MythDVD is an application which rips DVDs and makes them available
for use with MythVideo. You may also transcode the DVD content..."

If MythDVD also handles plain old DVD playback, that should probably
be added to the list of functions in the first paragraph of FAQ
section 19 along with ripping and transcoding.

> Try reading the README in the MythBrowser folder.  It explains quite
> clearly that you need the KDE development package installed.

No thanks.  Now that I know that MythBrowser isn't just an artifact
of a name change for MythWeb, I have no interest in installing it.
Given what it actually is, the KDE dependency makes much more sense,
though.  Thanks for clearing that up.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that