Firewire+PVR on same cablebox? WAS [Re: [mythtv-users] Firewire and DCT-6200]

Peter Judge peter at judge.co.za
Thu Oct 20 12:27:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 16:09 -0400, Steve Adeff wrote:
<snip>
> I got HD working. but no ESPNHD, TNTHD, etc. ugh.
> I also notice that the only channels I can get are the OTA and basic
> cable
> package channels. So no digital cable, no spanish package channels (no
> Fox
> Sports Espanol, ARGGGG!) and no Sports Package channels.

Some cable providers do provide everything through the Firewire port
(like RCN in Boston); some don't (like Comcast in Boston).

> Could I setup Myth to use some channels via firewire and some via a
> PVR card
> for the same cable box?

Good question. I've been struggling with this on and off for some time
now, with no real success. You can set up multiple video sources (one
for firewire and one for the PVR) and prioritise one of them higher than
the other, but you're left with the chance that Myth will (correctly)
schedule both tuners to record something simultaneously. It's also easy
to mess up a recording if you watch LiveTv while recording, and change
channels doing so.

At the moment I've decided just to use the PVR (since that gets
everything but the HD stuff). The firewire is still very useful for
channel change stuff.

Regards,
Peter