[mythtv-users] Recording problems

Mike odias at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 20 05:53:40 EDT 2005

Hey folks,

I've been running a TV tuner card in my system for a couple years now,
and have been wanting to build myself a dedicated box for mythtv for
almost as long.

This week I finally purchased a new SFF system specifically to be my
mythbox. It's an Athlon 2500+, 1GB RAM, about 250GB of hard drive space,
and I put in my aging Hauppauge WinTV PCI card (this is just a tuner
card - no hardware encoding) to hold me over till I get a PVR350.

I've got everything setup (I think) though there seems to be something
wrong somewhere. I have two problems:

1. Livetv isn't so live - after running for a mere 5 seconds or so, the
video goes slightly slow motion and falls further and further behind the
audio. Like I said, the tuner card doesn't have a hardware encoder, but
a 2500+ processor should be more than ample to do the job. (my CPU load
hovers at about 35-40%)

 2. I can't record anything. Mythfilldatabase worded like a charm, and I
can look at the entire program guide. I can go through the motions of
setting up a recording, but when I go to "save these settings" it
doesn't seem to actually save them. Nothing shows up in "Upcoming
Recordings" and nothing gets recorded. I've also tried doing a manual
recording to no avail.

Some other info: The tuner card works, I can watch TV using TVTime.
My system (Mandrake 10, yes I tried knoppmyth, but I couldn't get the
video to work using it) is completely up to date.
My directory for recordings is non-standard, but is setup, and a file
does get created when I do use the "watch live TV" option.
I've played with the buffer sizes, but they don't have any discernible
effect.

Because it's basically working (albeit with problems) I'm fairly sure
it's just one or two minor misconfiguration that are causing these two
problems. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

-Mike