[mythtv-users] Starting to think I should use Kaffeine instead of Mythtv

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Wed Oct 19 23:44:47 EDT 2005

Nick Rout wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:25:15 -0400
>David wrote:
>

>>Well, if you want a full-blown desktop distro, I can't recommend Fedora
>>Core 4 highly enough.  IMO it's the best platform for both Myth *and*
>>desktop work.  I've never like Mandrake/Mandriva much myself.
>>

>My local lug refers to it as Mandrivel

Don't want to start a distro war, but do they give good reasons?  I mean
Mandrake was based on redhat to start with.  I actually ran Fedora 4 for
a while, then switched to Mandriva because it was a more complete
distro, and easier to setup. It sits higher on the distrowatch website's
page hit ranking too.

Of course, none of that amounts to much if it doesn't work :-(  To tell
the truth, if I was to switch, I might consider Suse, as we use that at
work - mainly because of the support from Novell.

Oh and Jarod's guide pretty much applied to what I had to do to install
mythtv under Mandriva.  I used it extensively.