[mythtv-users] Starting to think I should use Kaffeine instead of Mythtv

David mythtv at morrisonthenet.com
Wed Oct 19 23:25:15 EDT 2005

ffrr wrote:

> I have installed knoppmyth a little while back on another machine.  I
> totally agree that it's a good way to go, except I also want to use
> this machine as a day to day home desktop.  So, for a desktop machine,
> I like KDE and it's support apps such as K3B, and I don't think
> knoppmyth has that. There's also some other apps, like Open Office
> that I would want. I suppose I could add the stuff I need, but by that
> time, I will be back to the complexity level I am currently at.
>
> It may become a backend only at some point, in which case I will put
> Knoppmyth on a lesser powered machine as a frontend, but I will still
> want to use the backend as a desktop as well.
>
> Anyway, I see no guarantee it would work any better with my DVB card.
> Just saying that though, maybe I can boot from a Knoppmyth CD just to
> test it.  Does the backend work in Knoppmyth when booted from CD, or
> do I have to install it?  I'd rather not install it because I've heard
> it expects to install to a clean hda, whereas I have sata, and worse,
> would want to put it into something like sda11 (a spare partition).

Well, if you want a full-blown desktop distro, I can't recommend Fedora
Core 4 highly enough.  IMO it's the best platform for both Myth *and*
desktop work.  I've never like Mandrake/Mandriva much myself.

Plus with FC4 you have Jarod's most excellent HOW-TO for Myth, which is
the gold-standard for how to setup a Myth box.

David